- MEI Appoints Optizen Labs as Portico European Reseller
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller in Italy
- MEI Portico™ Integrates With Salesforce Using New CRM Module
- Stony Brook University Selects TruEdit
- Bigfish Publications Sees Big Wins With TruEdit
- MEI Portico™ Brings Adobe DPS Storefronts To Android
- MEI Ad Layout System for Publishers Now Compatible with Mavericks
- MEI Debuts Cloud-based, Collaborative Workflow System
- Prometheus Global Media Enhances Apps with New MEI Portico Storefront
- MEI Highlights Best Practices and Innovation in Digital Publishing at Pro Pub Summit 2013
- MEI Unveils Enterprise-level Planning and Management System
- MEI Portico Version 2.6 Offers New Storefront Capabilities for Adobe DPS Apps
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller
- MEI Portico Authentication Powers DOCMINE Videobooks iPad App
- MEI Supports Publishing Platform Integration for Condé Nast International
- TCS Expeditions Updates iPad App with MEI Portico 2.5
- Human Rights Campaign Launches New App with Help from MEI
- Bonnier Adds Custom Storefronts Using MEI Portico
- Georgia Public Broadcasting Launches New App with Help from MEI
- MEI Portico Version 2.5 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- MEI Creates Tablet App for Art Institutes' New Digital Publishing Program
- Billboard Magazine Launches Dynamic iPad App Powered by MEI Portico
- MEI Creates App to Promote University of South Florida’s Mobile App Conference
- Rolling Stone Debuts iPad App with Support from MEI, Nervous Pixel
- MEI Portico Version 2.0 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- Pro Pub Summit Draws Prominent MEI Clients, Addresses Future of vjoon K4™ and Adobe DPS
- Adweek Premieres New iPad App Using MEI Portico and Adobe DPS Enterprise
- MEI Announces 2012 Calendar of Fall Events
- TCS & Starquest Expeditions Debuts iPad App with MEI Portico
- MEI Introduces Nervous Pixel — The Creative Division of Managing Editor Inc.
- MEI Revamps Publishing Workflow at RSNA with vjoon K4™
- vjoon K4™ Is the First Publishing System to Support Full Integration with New Adobe DPS API
- MEI Builds Interactive iPad Program Book for ISTE Conference
Funny Or Die Expands its Comedy Empire with Technical Assistance from MEI
New iPad magazine ‘The Occasional’ launched with Adobe DPS
Jenkintown, PA (March 14, 2012) The Internet comedy juggernaut that is Funny Or Die has a new interactive iPad magazine — and MEI helped.
“The Occasional,” available now by single issue or subscription on the iTunes Newsstand, expands the Funny Or Die brand with magazine-style original content, multimedia, games and other interactive components. The app was built using the Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite™, the preeminent solution for Adobe InDesign®-based tablet publishing.
Nate Maggio, Funny Or Die senior designer and art director for “The Occasional,” worked with MEI to learn advanced techniques of designing and publishing with the Adobe suite.
“For making an iPad magazine, DPS just seemed like the obvious way to go,” Maggio said. “All the design elements and interactive tools are in there, plus it gives you a lot of flexibility in how you source and manage content.”
“To give them a jump start, we trained Nate and his team on the DPS tools in InDesign,” said MEI Creative Director Will Steuber. “Then, along the way, we helped them push the standard toolset to create some, well, funny interactive treatments.” (An MEI specialist also did HTML 5 development on the interactive “Kidz Korrall” feature “Hippos: Warlords of the Wild.” But it was all Funny Or Die’s idea. Really.)
With more than 25 pieces of original content, “The Occasional” is a magazine not simply to be read but experienced. Features include celebrity interviews, political commentary, movie reviews and plenty of new comedic twists on conventional magazine themes such as “Who Wore it Better,” and a children’s audio book, “Who’s Hollering for Harry” with sound effects by Marc Maron. There is also an exclusive episode of Funny Or Die’s award-winning series, “Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis.” Contributors to “The Occasional” include Funny Or Die co-founder Adam McKay, Tom Lennon and Jon Daly, among others.
“Comedy comes in different shapes and sizes, and through this medium our creative team came up with truly innovative content that is a great addition to the Funny Or Die universe,” said Funny Or Die CEO Dick Glover. “It’s funny for fans, users, readers and whoever else goes to the App Store.”
“The Occasional” is available for $3.99 per issue, $1.99 per every-other-month issue with an automatically renewing subscription or $9.99 a year. To learn more, visit: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/funny-or-dies-the-occasional/id487902089
Managing Editor Inc., an Adobe premier development partner, develops quality, proven publishing software. MEI specializes in providing tools that manage content for any output medium — print, online, tablets such as the iPad, mobile devices such as the iPhone and other digital formats. Visit www.maned.com for more information.
About Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
The Adobe Digital Publishing Suite enables the creation of immersive reading experiences that combine the visual impact of print design, the flexibility of the tablet format, the immediacy of touch interaction and the engagement of interactive elements such as video, audio, animated infographics and more. In conjunction with InDesign CS5.5, Adobe DPS provides a robust end-to-end publishing solution for creation, distribution, commercialization and analysis of high-value content, including traditional magazines and newspapers as well as corporate publications.