- WoodWing Software partners with MEI to expand its footprint in the U.S. and Canada
- MEI Appoints Optizen Labs as Portico European Reseller
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller in Italy
- MEI Portico™ Integrates With Salesforce Using New CRM Module
- Stony Brook University Selects TruEdit
- Bigfish Publications Sees Big Wins With TruEdit
- MEI Portico™ Brings Adobe DPS Storefronts To Android
- MEI Ad Layout System for Publishers Now Compatible with Mavericks
- MEI Debuts Cloud-based, Collaborative Workflow System
- Prometheus Global Media Enhances Apps with New MEI Portico Storefront
- MEI Highlights Best Practices and Innovation in Digital Publishing at Pro Pub Summit 2013
- MEI Unveils Enterprise-level Planning and Management System
- MEI Portico Version 2.6 Offers New Storefront Capabilities for Adobe DPS Apps
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller
- MEI Portico Authentication Powers DOCMINE Videobooks iPad App
- MEI Supports Publishing Platform Integration for Condé Nast International
- TCS Expeditions Updates iPad App with MEI Portico 2.5
MEI Helps Howard Hughes Medical Institute Revamp iPad App
Tablet experts overhaul quarterly magazine using industry-leading Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
Jenkintown, PA (April 30, 2012) Managing Editor Inc. (MEI) today announced that the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is now using Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite™ to produce the iPad edition of its quarterly magazine, the HHMI Bulletin. HHMI hired MEI’s design and production team to help create upcoming tablet issues of the magazine as well as to rebuild existing iPad issues using Adobe DPS.
HHMI implemented an HTML-based tablet-publishing strategy in 2010. Recently, the organization’s communications team determined that a solution integrated with Adobe InDesign® would add flexibility to its production process, since the HHMI team already was working in InDesign to produce the Bulletin in print. Based on recommendations from other publishers using Adobe DPS, including Reader’s Digest, HHMI decided to migrate the HHMI Bulletin app.
HHMI met with MEI and developed a plan for rebuilding the six back issues and creating new ones using DPS. MEI began by building InDesign templates and reworking the HTML content issue by issue, finding creative ways to replicate the existing functionality with the Adobe software.
“We were able to rebuild almost all of the interactivity either exactly or pretty closely using the DPS tools in InDesign,” said Will Steuber, creative director at MEI.
MEI also enhanced the folios with new features, including social-media linking and sharing. Plus, MEI provided provisioning training when HHMI was ready to submit its DPS-based updates to the iTunes App Store.
In addition to creating DPS versions of the back issues, MEI is collaborating with HHMI to develop all-new tablet editions, conceptualized and built entirely with Adobe DPS. The February 2012 HHMI Bulletin iPad edition was the first beginning-to-end DPS release, and the May 2012 issue is under way. MEI is providing Adobe DPS training to give the HHMI team a greater understanding of the tools.
For HHMI Bulletin readers, the transition has been nearly seamless. Users simply need to download an app update to access the DPS-built back issues.
“HHMI’s transition to DPS demonstrates how publishers can dive right into DPS at any time without worrying about abandoning their existing content,” Steuber said.
Visit http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hhmi-bulletin/id411540287?mt=8 to download the free HHMI Bulletin from the iTunes App Store.
Managing Editor Inc., an Adobe premier development partner, specializes in quality, proven publishing software. MEI provides tools that manage content for any output medium — print, online, tablets such as the iPad, mobile devices such as the iPhone and other digital formats. Visit www.maned.com for more information.
About the Howard Hughes Medical Institute
The Howard Hughes Medical Institute plays a powerful role in advancing scientific research and education in the United States. Its scientists, located across the United States and around the world, have made important discoveries that advance both human health and our fundamental understanding of biology. The Institute also aims to transform science education into a creative, interdisciplinary endeavor that reflects the excitement of real research. To learn more about the institute, visit www.hhmi.org.
About Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
The Adobe Digital Publishing Suite enables the creation of immersive reading experiences that combine the visual impact of print design, the flexibility of the tablet format, the immediacy of touch interaction and the engagement of interactive elements such as video, audio, animated infographics and more. In conjunction with InDesign CS5.5, Adobe DPS provides a robust end-to-end publishing solution for creation, distribution, commercialization and analysis of high-value content, including traditional magazines and newspapers as well as corporate publications.