- MEI Ad Layout System for Publishers Now Compatible with Mavericks
- MEI Debuts Cloud-based, Collaborative Workflow System
- Prometheus Global Media Enhances Apps with New MEI Portico Storefront
- MEI Highlights Best Practices and Innovation in Digital Publishing at Pro Pub Summit 2013
- MEI Unveils Enterprise-level Planning and Management System
- MEI Portico Version 2.6 Offers New Storefront Capabilities for Adobe DPS Apps
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller
- MEI Portico Authentication Powers DOCMINE Videobooks iPad App
- MEI Supports Publishing Platform Integration for Condé Nast International
- TCS Expeditions Updates iPad App with MEI Portico 2.5
- Human Rights Campaign Launches New App with Help from MEI
- Bonnier Adds Custom Storefronts Using MEI Portico
- Georgia Public Broadcasting Launches New App with Help from MEI
- MEI Portico Version 2.5 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- MEI Creates Tablet App for Art Institutes' New Digital Publishing Program
- Billboard Magazine Launches Dynamic iPad App Powered by MEI Portico
- MEI Creates App to Promote University of South Florida’s Mobile App Conference
- Rolling Stone Debuts iPad App with Support from MEI, Nervous Pixel
- MEI Portico Version 2.0 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- Pro Pub Summit Draws Prominent MEI Clients, Addresses Future of vjoon K4™ and Adobe DPS
- Adweek Premieres New iPad App Using MEI Portico and Adobe DPS Enterprise
- MEI Announces 2012 Calendar of Fall Events
- TCS & Starquest Expeditions Debuts iPad App with MEI Portico
- MEI Introduces Nervous Pixel — The Creative Division of Managing Editor Inc.
- MEI Revamps Publishing Workflow at RSNA with vjoon K4™
- vjoon K4™ Is the First Publishing System to Support Full Integration with New Adobe DPS API
- MEI Builds Interactive iPad Program Book for ISTE Conference
MEI Helps Us Weekly Publish iPad App
Industry-leading software and custom scripting make it easy for popular entertainment magazine to repurpose print content for tablets
Jenkintown, PA (May 22, 2012) Managing Editor Inc. (MEI) today announced that it provided the production software behind the brand-new Us Weekly iPad app, now available in the iTunes store. Wenner Media, publisher of Us Weekly and other entertainment magazines including Rolling Stone, is producing the app with the vjoon K4™ Cross-Media Publishing Platform integrated with the Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite™. To streamline the iPad app-productions process, MEI developed a custom solution that automatically exports tablet content from K4 that’s ready for upload to the Adobe server. MEI is the exclusive distributor of vjoon K4 in the Americas and the leading Adobe DPS reseller worldwide.
Us Weekly was the first Wenner title to go live with vjoon K4 when the publisher purchased the editorial system in 2008. The magazine’s staff was quick to master the software, making a complete transition after just two issues, and had developed a powerful, streamlined InDesign/InCopy print workflow over the years.
With the Us team’s expertise in the Adobe tools, adopting vjoon K4 and DPS for tablet production was a logical evolution, requiring very little extra time and manpower. vjoon K4’s collaborative database features allow designers and editors to manage all the elements of their tablet issues in an efficient and intuitive workflow. Users can access content locally and make changes just as they would for print, with the added benefit of Adobe DPS for implementing interactive features.
Along with vjoon K4’s robust management of cross-media content, a custom-built MEI tool streamlines the final stages of Us Weekly’s app-production process. This solution uses the K4 XML Exporter™ module and a custom script to bulk-export finished layouts and their DPS metadata prior to uploading to the Adobe server.
“The Us Weekly team had a comfort level using Adobe InDesign, InCopy and vjoon K4 that made it really easy to integrate an all-new channel into their production process,” said Craig Roth, senior vice president of sales at MEI. “And thanks to our custom development, we’ve made it possible for them to save even more time by automating the folio-building process.”
Us Weekly’s app is designed and optimized exclusively for the iPad, including the third generation. It features the same content as the magazine’s print version presented in a dynamic and user-friendly way.
“MEI’s custom development was a crucial part of this project’s success,” said Paul Leung, system administrator for Wenner Media. “The time we’re saving on production by integrating vjoon K4 and Adobe DPS will allow us to focus on building future issues and exciting, interactive content.”
Visit http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/us-weekly-magazine/id518667393?mt=8 to download Us Weekly from the iTunes App Store.
Managing Editor Inc., an Adobe premier development partner, develops, integrates and supports quality, proven publishing software. MEI specializes in providing tools that manage content for any medium — print, online, tablets such as the iPad, mobile devices such as the iPhone and other digital formats. Visit www.maned.com for more information.
About Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
The Adobe Digital Publishing Suite enables the creation of immersive reading experiences that combine the visual impact of print design, the flexibility of the tablet format, the immediacy of touch interaction and the engagement of interactive elements such as video, audio and animated infographics. In conjunction with InDesign, Adobe DPS provides a robust end-to-end publishing solution for creation, distribution, commercialization and analysis of high-value content, including traditional magazines and newspapers as well as corporate publications.
About vjoon K4
vjoon K4 is one of the most innovative cross-media publishing platforms available in the market and lets you deliver your valuable content to any output channel — print, online, mobile, tablet. Based on the time- and cost-saving Unified Publishing Process, vjoon K4 provides the tools that allow your team to publish anywhere, smoothly and efficiently — whether you produce magazines, newspapers, sales materials, annual reports or books. Renowned customers worldwide and in configurations from 10 to more than 1,200 concurrent users benefit from this sophisticated solution. vjoon K4 is made in Germany by vjoon GmbH. A fixture on the publishing market since 1990, vjoon® is a leading developer of workflow solutions based on Adobe Creative Suite®. vjoon rapidly integrates all Adobe innovations into its solutions and consistently develops its products to meet market needs. Headquartered in greater Hamburg, Germany, vjoon partners with a global network of more than 30 qualified integrators to deliver premium system integration and support services to its customers. For further information, please visit www.vjoon.com.