- MEI Ad Layout System for Publishers Now Compatible with Mavericks
- MEI Debuts Cloud-based, Collaborative Workflow System
- Prometheus Global Media Enhances Apps with New MEI Portico Storefront
- MEI Highlights Best Practices and Innovation in Digital Publishing at Pro Pub Summit 2013
- MEI Unveils Enterprise-level Planning and Management System
- MEI Portico Version 2.6 Offers New Storefront Capabilities for Adobe DPS Apps
- MEI Expands European Presence with Portico Reseller
- MEI Portico Authentication Powers DOCMINE Videobooks iPad App
- MEI Supports Publishing Platform Integration for Condé Nast International
- TCS Expeditions Updates iPad App with MEI Portico 2.5
- Human Rights Campaign Launches New App with Help from MEI
- Bonnier Adds Custom Storefronts Using MEI Portico
- Georgia Public Broadcasting Launches New App with Help from MEI
- MEI Portico Version 2.5 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- MEI Creates Tablet App for Art Institutes' New Digital Publishing Program
- Billboard Magazine Launches Dynamic iPad App Powered by MEI Portico
- MEI Creates App to Promote University of South Florida’s Mobile App Conference
- Rolling Stone Debuts iPad App with Support from MEI, Nervous Pixel
- MEI Portico Version 2.0 for Adobe Digital Publishing Suite Now Available
- Pro Pub Summit Draws Prominent MEI Clients, Addresses Future of vjoon K4™ and Adobe DPS
- Adweek Premieres New iPad App Using MEI Portico and Adobe DPS Enterprise
- MEI Announces 2012 Calendar of Fall Events
- TCS & Starquest Expeditions Debuts iPad App with MEI Portico
- MEI Introduces Nervous Pixel — The Creative Division of Managing Editor Inc.
- MEI Revamps Publishing Workflow at RSNA with vjoon K4™
- vjoon K4™ Is the First Publishing System to Support Full Integration with New Adobe DPS API
- MEI Builds Interactive iPad Program Book for ISTE Conference
MEI Builds Interactive iPad Program Book for ISTE Conference
Educational organization expands print guide using Adobe DPS, tablet technology
Jenkintown, PA (June 22, 2012) Managing Editor Inc. (MEI) today announced that its creative team has built an interactive iPad program book for the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®) 2012 conference. MEI used the Adobe® Digital Publishing Suite™ to build the free ISTE digiPubs viewer app and the first folio, which serves as a guide for attendees.
MEI created the program book from beginning to end, based on concepts and assets provided by ISTE, and also managed the iTunes Connect app-submission process. Slated for June 24-27 in San Diego, ISTE’s annual conference is one of the world’s premier education and technology events, showcasing how educators across the globe are using innovative technologies to expand students’ horizons.
ISTE has been experimenting with new technologies to enhance the conference’s program book for several years.
“Technology is a critical piece of teaching and learning, and we have a very tech-savvy audience,” said Donella Evoniuk, senior director of conference services at ISTE. “Essentially, what we’re doing is creating a learning environment that models learning environments. The lens is always on us to come up with something exciting and innovative.”
Evoniuk said she focused on the iPad after seeing magazines on the device and discovering that the new medium didn’t diminish the reading experience; instead, the interactivity made her feel like the possibilities were endless. The Adobe DPS platform and MEI’s expert tablet services fit perfectly with ISTE’s plan to hire an outside contractor to build the app while providing training and consulting.
“Given our existing workflows, we wouldn’t be able to launch and learn a whole new system on our own,” Evoniuk said. “MEI described the value proposition in a way that made sense.”
The design process began with an editorial concept session, in which MEI’s design team presented the “art of the possible,” showcasing key Adobe DPS features. This approach gave Evoniuk a chance to learn more about the software’s capabilities and come up with some creative ideas for interactivity on her own. She sketched out her concepts and provided MEI with content including images, video, text and style guides. Then, MEI’s experts got to work turning those concepts into reality on the iPad using Adobe DPS.
The app includes an interactive schedule, speaker spotlights, video features, program highlights, tips for attendees and more. It also provides embedded live content from the conference website, ensuring that users have the most up-to-date details about event activities, as well as links to ISTE’s mobile website for online content formatted especially for the iPad. There’s even information about ISTE’s next conference, including a link to registration.
Once ISTE was happy with the product, MEI shepherded the finished app to the iTunes App Store through iTunes Connect.
“It was such a simple process,” Evoniuk said. “MEI’s project managers and solution specialists were always available, and everybody has been so pleasant to work with. It’s like we’re all speaking the same language. It has just clicked very well.”
Evoniuk is looking forward to using Adobe DPS and MEI for more ISTE publishing initiatives in the future.
“For our organization to survive and stay relevant, we have to explore getting our content onto emerging technologies like the iPad,” she said. “MEI is our gateway to that, and this project is just the beginning. We have this finished folio now, and we’re excited to see what else we can do with the viewer app.”
For MEI, the project was an opportunity to demonstrate the flexibility of the Adobe DPS platform.
“This interactive program book proves that Adobe DPS isn’t just for magazines,” said Craig Roth, senior vice president of sales at MEI. “It’s the perfect tool for any publishing team that wants to expand to tablet devices and enhance its content with robust interactive features.”
To download the free ISTE digiPubs viewer app and the ISTE 2012 Final Program Guide, visit http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iste-digipubs/id534673362?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2.
Managing Editor Inc., an Adobe premier development partner, develops, integrates and supports quality, proven publishing software. MEI specializes in providing tools that manage content for any medium — print, online, tablets such as the iPad, mobile devices such as the iPhone and other digital formats. Visit www.maned.com for more information.
About Adobe Digital Publishing Suite
The Adobe Digital Publishing Suite enables the creation of immersive reading experiences that combine the visual impact of print, the flexibility of the tablet format, the immediacy of touch interaction and the engagement of interactive elements such as video, audio and animated infographics. In conjunction with InDesign, Adobe DPS provides a robust end-to-end publishing solution for creation, distribution, commercialization and analysis of high-value content, including traditional magazines and newspapers as well as corporate publications.
The International Society for Technology in Education is the premier membership association for educators and education leaders engaged in advancing excellence in learning and teaching through innovative and effective uses of technology. ISTE is the trusted source in education technology for professional development, knowledge generation, advocacy and leadership for innovation. ISTE members include individuals, regional and international affiliate organizations and corporations. With its affiliate network, ISTE represents more than 100,000 education leaders and emerging leaders throughout the world.